Kings Lynn: 01553 766795 Downham Market: 01366 384182    Wisbech: 01945 461112

Help with Costs

Social fund funeral payments

Under certain circumstances you may be eligible for a contribution towards funeral expenses from the Department of Work & Pensions (DWP) Social Fund. This will generally apply should there be insufficient funds and you or your partner are/were in receipt of a benefit. For a claim to be processed, a SF200 ‘Funeral Payments from the Social Fund’ form will need to be completed by the claimant and sent, together with a copy of the funeral account, to the nearest Job centre Plus within three months of the funeral taking place.

Benefits and tax credits

You may be eligible for a Funeral Payment from the Social Fund if you or your partner are receiving any of the following benefits or tax credits:

  • Income Support
  • Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance
  • Income-related Employment and Support Allowance
  • Pension Credit
  • Housing Benefit
  • Council Tax Benefit (or the Council Tax payer where you live gets a Second Adult Rebate because you are on a low income)
  • Working Tax Credit which includes a disability or severe disability element
  • Child Tax Credit at a rate higher than the family element

The term ‘partner’ is used here to mean: A person you are married to or person you live with as if you are married to them, a civil partner, or person you live with as if you are civil partners

For more information please visit the DWP website.

Local Jobcentres:

King’s Lynn: Job Centre Plus. Lovell House. St Nicholas Street. Kings Lynn Tel: (0845) 608 8571

Downham Market: Job Centre, Priory Centre, Downham Market Tel: (01366) 363900

Norwich: Job Center Plus, Kiln House, Pottergate Tel: (0845) 604 3719

To download and print off a Form for help you will need SF200 click here