Kings Lynn: 01553 766795 Downham Market: 01366 384182    Wisbech: 01945 461112

Registering a Death

A death must be registered by law. We are able to advise on the procedure and whereabouts of the relevant registration offices.

Any death that has occurred in Norfolk, can now be registered at any Norfolk Registrar, an appointment will be required.

Registrars Contact Details

Wisbech & Cambridgeshire 03450 451363

Peterborough 01733 864646

Lincolnshire 01522 782244

Appointments for any registrar in Norfolk can be made by telephoning Norfolk County Council on 0344 8008020 or online booking Link – Click Here To Make An Appointment.

Under normal circumstances the Notification of Death should be taken to the registrars with, if possible, the Deceased’s birth certificate and doctors medical card. If the birth certificate is not available, the registrar will accept you telling the date and place of birth.

The registrar will then issue the relevant certificates.

  1. Green certificate, for funeral. Please pass on to Funeral Director as soon as possible.
  2. White certificate for DWP, please complete reverse of certificate and return to address provided, to finalize pension, or this can be done by telephoning the DWP.
  3. Additional copies of death certificate can be purchased at cost of £4.00 each, to deal with deceased, bank accounts, insurances etc.

If the death had been referred to the coroner, in the case of cremation, the coroner will issue a certificate for cremation, to replace the green certificate.

Who can Register the Death?

  • Any Relative of the Deceased
  • Any person present at the time of death
  • The occupier of the house where the death occurred
  • The person arranging the funeral (but not the funeral director)

What information will be required?

  • Date & place of birth and death
  • Full name of the deceased, home address and occupation
  • Marital status and, if the deceased is female, her maiden name and her husband’s full name & occupation

The government now operate a service, which is called Tell us Once.

What Tell Us Once Does

  • work out final payments of benefits for the person who’s died (including the State Pension) and tax credits
  • make arrangements for Income Tax, National Insurance and Council Tax
  • cancel the passport and/or driving licence of the person who’s died (if applicable)
  • let local council services know so they can make arrangements about council housing and Blue Badge schemes
  • make sure the person’s name is removed from the electoral register (also known as the electoral roll)

To use this service, the registrar will give you a leaflet explaining the procedure which can be done by telephone or online. Also the registrar will give you a Tell us once reference number, which will be required.

Appointments must be made to register. Registrar Details and contacts available here.